Monday, February 4, 2013

2012 In Books

via Pinterest
 Inspired by some bloggers I read, I've decided to do a post on some of the books I read last year and point out some new favorites. I started out the year with the goal of reading fifty books and later extended that goal to include seventy books. I am very happy to say I met the goal.

I started out the year reading The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis for a writing class and it became an unexpected favorite. I went on to read Mere Christianity, also by Lewis, a little bit later for the same class.

 Some of the titles I've read from the historical fiction genre this year have been; Bonnie Prince Charlie by G. A. Henty, The Thunder by Douglas Bond, The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott, and The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. My favorites were most definitely The Thunder and The Yearling, both I heartily recommend.

 I continued to read several series I've been working on, such as L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series and Martha Finley's Elsie Dinsmore series. While I still have a couple of "Anne" books left, I have only one book left to the Elsie Dinsmore series. A new favorite series I've discovered this year is the Jungle Doctor series by Paul White.

 Some of my other favorite books from the year are; The Hidden Hand by E.D.E.N. Southworth, Father and I Were Ranchers by Ralph Moody, and the No Place Like Holmes series by Jason Lethcoe.

 My favorite author that I discovered this year would definitely have to be Kate Douglas Wiggin. My mom read aloud The Bird's Christmas Carol in November and I was quickly scourging our shelves for any more books by her. Mother Carey's Chickens and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm have now become favorites.

 On the lines of non-fiction and biographies, Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live, Running the Race a biography on Eric Liddell by John W. Keddie, and Daws by Betty Lee Skinner, are new favorites.

 I am already plunging into this year's reading goal and interested in reading some new authors and more of old ones.

 What are some of your favorite books that you read last year?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really do appreciate it. I do have a few requests or rules: no profanity (let's keep things PG, people), no spam, and please keep your words kind. "If you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all." — Thumper in Bambi (1942)

If you do disagree with what I say, say it kindly and civilly. I will remove any comments that do not comply with any of these rules.