Friday, May 29, 2015

The Summer of Reading

via Pinterest
 Last week I realized to my horror that I hadn't put together my summer reading list yet. So, I promptly went to work compiling such a list. By the time I finished thirty-five individual titles looked back at me. I have since narrowed it down a bit to only thirty-one and decided to share the list with you all.


Fiction:
The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim
Plenilune by Jennifer Freitag
The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
Sundown Slim by Henry Herbert Knibbs
Pied Piper by Nevil Shute (I actually finished this one a few days ago and plan on writing a review of it at some point in time. In short, I loved it.)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
King Solomon’s Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Stella Dallas by Olive Higgins Prouty
N or M by Agatha Christie
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield
A Fair Barbarian by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Cyrano De Bergerac by Edmund Rostand
The Zion Chronicles Series by Bodie Thoene
Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock

Non-Fiction:
Reckless Abandon by David Sitton
The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson
London Afresh by E.V. Lucas
Spies of the First World War by James Morton
Norman Rockwell: My Adventures as an Illustrator by Norman Rockwell
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung
Mission at Nuremberg by Tim Townsend
Land of the Burnt Thigh by Edith Eudora Kohl

Rereads:
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Random Harvest by James Hilton

 It is an ambitious list for someone who only managed twenty-five books last summer, and I probably will switch out quite of few of them for others as the summer goes by, but I will be quite happy and contented if I can top last summer's book count by even a little bit.

What are you reading/planning on reading this summer?

8 comments :

  1. Mmmm...this is a good list!
    I don't have very much planned in the way of summer reading; I do want to read Emma, but other than that I'll probably just pick up random books. That's a funny thing though, I do actually have a winter reading list that's fairly long.
    Good luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - Oh, I forgot about "Emma"! Hmmm.... I might need to add that to my list. That is funny about your winter reading list. Though, it is probably quite practical to have one for the winter months. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I haven't read many of these, but I've heard of most of them. (I have read Eats, Shoots and Leaves, and it was terribly witty. ;-P)

    I rarely make an official summer list, but some books I'm planning to tackle this summer are the North and South trilogy by John Jakes. Which is very ambitious, because each book is like 1,000 pages. ;-P Yeah.

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is an ambitious list—and a good one. I've read a lot of your fiction picks, and I bet you're going to like them! Pied Piper is on my summer reading list too, so I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it.

    I didn't know Norman Rockwell had written a book! I'll have to look that up—he's one of my favorite artists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great list!! I'll have to look into some of these books! I do the same thing ... make a big list and switch out books as the summer goes on. A few of the books on my summer list are:

    Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion - Elizabeth L. Cline
    The Auschwitz Volunteer - Witold Pilecki
    Resistance and Betrayal - Patrick Marnham
    A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II - Adam Makos
    Band of Brothers - Stephen E. Ambrose
    Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    He Leadeth Me - Walter J. Ciszek,
    A Diary From Dixie - Mary Boykin Chesnut
    Aspects of the Novel - E.M. Forster
    Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
    Soldiers of the Night -David Schoenbrun
    Vichy France and the Jews - Michael R. Marrus and Robert O. Paxton
    The Fall of France - Julian T. Jackson
    Noah's Ark - Marie-Madeleine Fourcade
    Miracles Do Happen - Andree Peel
    Defying ISIS: Preserving Christianity in the Place of Its Birth and in Your Own Backyard - Johnnie Moore
    In the Skin of a Jihadist: Inside Islamic State's Recruitment Networks - Anna Erelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma - Whew! That trilogy does sound like hefty reading!

    Elisabeth - I discovered several of the books on my list through your Toll Free Books blog. I found the Norman Rockwell memoir at a local book sale.

    Emily - Your list looks good. I've been wanting to read "A HIgher Call" and "Band of Brothers" also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, Plenilune. I'm afraid it would take me the whole summer just to finish that one. It's so thick.

    I'm thinking of reading The Pied Piper eventually too. I've heard lots of good things about Nevil Shute and I'm eager to try some of his books.

    The Screwtape Letters has been on my TBR list for a time now, but I doubt if I'll get to it this summer. I need to reread Mere Christianity too.

    Compared to your list, mine is nothing: only six or seven books! I'm especially looking forward to reading Go Set a Watchman this July. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hanna - Yeah, "Plenilune" is quite thick. I am actually going to be posting a review of "Pied Piper" later today. I really, really enjoyed that book.

    I have mixed feelings on "Go Set a Watchman". Part of me is excited and overjoyed, while the other part is dreading the possibility of disappointment if it doesn't match up with the quality of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I guess only time and reading it will tell.

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I really do appreciate it. I do have a few requests or rules: no profanity (let's keep things PG, people), no spam, and please keep your words kind. "If you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all." — Thumper in Bambi (1942)

If you do disagree with what I say, say it kindly and civilly. I will remove any comments that do not comply with any of these rules.